Ready to spend? U.S. Shoppers Are Ready to Pay 50% More Than Retail Price This Holiday Season

How far are you willing to go to find and buy everything on your holiday shopping list? The global supply chain is in shambles as the end of the year approaches. We suggest you start shopping early, but many buyers are willing to pay extra to get what they need.

PCMag surveyed 1,116 American adults about their holiday shopping plans. We found that 76% of respondents are willing to visit retailers to buy anything on their list. Another 46% say they agreed to pay an inflated resale price.

Given the ongoing shortage of chips and the problem of bots buying limited stock, 28% of respondents don’t think they have a fair chance of getting a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X this year. But 72% of respondents say they are ready to pay 25% to 50% above the sale price.

Given this reality, 28% of respondents are now considering using their own bot to help them acquire the technology items they need. Another option is to find a substitute product, with 49% of respondents saying they will find an alternative device and 40% willing to buy a refurbished device.

If you’re still hoping to score one of the bestselling gaming consoles this holiday season, we’ve got some tips to help you out. For everything else, we can help you avoid the supply chain blues.

What's New Now to get our top stories delivered to your inbox every morning.","first_published_at":"2021-09-30T21:30:40.000000Z","published_at":"2022-01-18T21:20:02.000000Z","last_published_at":"2022-01-18T21:19:32.000000Z","created_at":null,"updated_at":"2022-01-18T21:20:02.000000Z"})" x-show="showEmailSignUp()" class="rounded bg-gray-lightest text-center md:px-32 md:py-8 p-4 font-brand mt-8 container-xs">
Receive our best stories!

Register for What’s up now to get our top stories delivered to your inbox every morning.

This newsletter may contain advertisements, offers or affiliate links. Subscribing to a newsletter indicates your consent to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. You can unsubscribe from newsletters at any time.